Pages

Monday, October 17, 2016

Brittany McEuen reviews THE WITNESSES by Robert Whitlow

Brittany McEuen reviews THE WITNESSES by Robert Whitlow

About the book (from Goodreads):

Young lawyer Parker House is on the rise—until his grandfather’s mysterious past puts both of their lives in danger.

Parker House’s secret inheritance is either his greatest blessing . . . or his deadliest curse. The fresh-faced North Carolina attorney shares his German grandfather’s uncanny ability to see future events in his mind’s eye—a gift that has haunted 82-year-old Frank House through decades of trying to erase a murderous wartime past.

While Parker navigates the intrigue and politics of small-town courtroom law, Frank is forced to face his darkest regrets. Then, a big career break for Parker collides with a new love he longs to nurture and the nightmares his grandfather can no longer escape. Sudden peril threatens to shatter not only Parker’s legal prospects but also his life and the lives of those dearest to him.

Two witnesses, two paths, an uncertain future.

My review:

I enjoyed this legal drama. It was not a fast-moving ride, rather a slow and steady progression throughout the novel. I liked that there was a dual timeline that involved the present (or recent present of 2003) as well as frequent treks into the past. In this way, I was able to see what happened through the eyes of Franz Haus, a German soldier with an uncanny ability. I enjoyed both timelines, but found the portions in the past to be very interesting.

The Witnesses was not a story with a lot of action and heavy suspense. Instead, there was a general feeling of concern that threaded its way through the novel as events began to unfold that made it clear that someone was looking into Franz Haus and his past. Although I felt that the resolution of this possible threat was a bit quick, I still was ultimately satisfied with the outcome. The salvation message and the truth of God’s forgiveness were clear in the story and both were woven in very nicely. The Witnesses would be good reading for those who enjoy legal dramas and a bit of World War II history.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

About Reviewer Brittany McEuen:

I am a busy homeschooling mom to four children, ranging from kindergarten to high school. I’m happily married to my high school sweetheart and am an avid reader and book reviewer. I feature book reviews, giveaways, and occasional author interviews on my blog, Britt Reads Fiction. You can also connect with me on Pinterest and Goodreads.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!