Pages

Monday, September 19, 2016

Brittany McEuen reviews GRIME FAMILY by Marji Laine

Brittany McEuen reviews GRIME FAMILY by Marji Laine

The Short Version:

Meeting the parents can be murder. For Dani Foster that’s a literal statement, and there’s little chance her boyfriend’s parents will ever warm up to her. Not after what she uncovers. 

After dating for several months, it’s only natural that Jay Hunter should want his girlfriend to meet his family. But Dani’s curious nature and extraordinary observation skills can’t be turned off. Not even for his parents. Their secrets aren’t her doing, and the fact that she unearths them aren’t her intentions, so why is she openly hated? 

His parents’ obvious dislike for the lady he loves leaves Jay with a terrible decision. Does he accept their counsel and give up this woman who has meant so much to him, or does he return to Dallas with Dani and never look back? Or is there some way the problems can be resolved without destroying either relationship? 

My Review: 

I really enjoyed this continuation of the Grime Fighter series. Although the small town setting was slower paced and different than the earlier books, which are set in the Dallas area, there was still a mystery to be solved and danger always seems to find Dani Foster. 

I liked visiting Jay Hunter’s small town and meeting the people he grew up with. It was painful to watch as Dani was continually treated badly by Jay’s family for things that weren’t her responsibility. However, the reasons behind their actions become clear as the story unfolds. I was extremely impressed with both Jay and Dani in the way that they dealt with Jay’s family and their treatment of Dani. 

Each of the previous Grime Fighter mysteries have revealed a bit more about Dani and her past. This novella did not truly add much new information, however, the reader will continue to see Dani struggle with hiding who she really is from Jay. I’m looking forward to reading more in this series and finding out the full extent of Dani’s backstory. This has been a fun series to read. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

About Reviewer Brittany McEuen:

I am a busy homeschooling mom to four children, ranging from kindergarten to high school. I’m happily married to my high school sweetheart and am an avid reader and book reviewer. I feature book reviews, giveaways, and occasional author interviews on my blog, Britt Reads Fiction. You can also connect with me on Pinterest and Goodreads.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked my story, Brittany! Thanks so much for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a country girl, I really liked this one. But I liked the episodes set in Dallas as well!! I LOVE that it's mysterious and exciting but my teenage daughter can read this with no qualms on my part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Christa! I like it when my girls read books I love, too! There's just something special about being able to share something between us without worrying about inappropriate language or scenes. And when the book also has a Christian thread that we can all dig into, it's that much sweeter!

      Delete
  3. That sounds soooooooooooooooooo good! Is this book out yet? I would love to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's at Amazon in both print and ebook. I'd give you the link, but those tend to send up alerts. Amazon-search GRIME FAMILY and it should be the top choice.

      By the way, the first book of this series, GRIME BEAT, is free on Amazon!

      Delete
  4. I am enjoying this series so very much and definitely recommend it as the stories are a nice combination of danger, light romance, and the world of a crime scene cleaner who always seems to accidentally end up in the middle of whatever bad situation she can find! I'm looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the review, Brittany! I have a bit of catching up to do but got a real kick out of the first book in the series. Can't wait to read more, Marji. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!