Pages

Monday, August 29, 2016

Therese Heckenkamp reviews SHADOW OF THE STORM by Candle Sutton

Therese Heckenkamp reviews SHADOW OF THE STORM by Candle Sutton

Short Synopsis from Amazon:

Who am I? That’s a good question. If you figure it out, be sure to let me know.

For today, I’m Stormy. The answer might be different if you ask me tomorrow. Because the truth of the matter is, I don’t know who I am.

You might be wondering how that can be. Join the club. I have no idea.

My memories begin with overhearing two men planning my murder. You heard me, my murder. I get away from them, but just barely. The only things in my possession are a duffel bag with obscene amounts of cash and a wallet with four driver’s licenses. All with my picture. Don’t ask me how or why I have them--or even if any of them are real--because I don’t know.

I don’t know much of anything.

All I know is those men want me dead. For reasons still unknown to me. So I’ll run. And I’ll keep running. Because it’s all I can do.

Honestly though, I can’t run forever. I have to piece my fractured mind back together. Somehow. But how do you go about remembering the things that most people already know?

My Review:

“You’re gonna dump her off the bridge?” This opening line hooked me and reeled me into a high-suspense situation without wasting a second. But could the rest of the story deliver? When it had me reading late into the night, I had my answer.

Stormy is in a bad way. A very bad way. She doesn’t even know her real name. On the run, confused, and bearing bruises, she can’t stop to figure anything out—even if she had a clue how, which she doesn’t. She’s in possession of items she’s unsure she should have. Is she innocent? Or a criminal? Who wants her dead? And what about this odd fear of the police that she can’t shake?

Candle Sutton writes with a delightfully fast-paced, crisp writing style. I’d never read this author before, but she didn’t disappoint. Each chapter left me eager to begin the next. I wanted answers to countless tantalizing questions: Who is this main character really, and why are people after her? Where is her home and does she have any family? Who can be trusted?

Apart from a few third person scenes from the villain’s point of view, the entire novel is told in first person present tense. I found it unusual, but effective. It takes no more than a moment to orientate to, and it serves the suspense of the story well, bringing a strong sense of immediacy to each scene.

The story contains plenty of elements that will set readers’ hearts pounding, complete with chases, dark alleys, and gunfire. The well-drawn characters had me musing about their lives and motives. Humor and wit and growing friendships keep the story from descending too darkly. Though minimal, there’s even a romance aspect with several potential love interests.

As bits and pieces of memory gradually return, Stormy must sift reality from dreams and nightmares. Strong as she is, she becomes weary of struggling to survive on her own. Does religion have a place in her life? Because she’s not sure what she believes about faith and God. The novel’s religious elements are well-done, and a strong faith thread intensifies as the story proceeds.

When all seems lost, Stormy just may learn how to find peace. “Not the ‘life’s perfect’ kind of peace, but the kind of peace that lasts through any circumstance.” And in an unexpected way, she learns about an unconditional love that might save her after all.

Shadow of the Storm delivers plenty of suspense while the main character battles the storms of life on
an exciting journey of self-discovery. For fans of inspirational suspense, this book is a must-read.

About the Reviewer:

Therese Heckenkamp loves to read and write and read about writing. She’s thrilled to be living her childhood dream as an author and has published three Christian suspense novels so far: Past Suspicion, Frozen Footprints, and After the Thaw. A busy wife and mother of three, Therese fits in writing time whenever she can manage (and sometimes when she can’t). Visit her at ThereseHeckenkamp.com and follow her on Facebook, Goodreads, Amazon, and Twitter.

10 comments:

  1. Great review, Therese! I loved the way you seemed to adopt the author's staccato writing voice for your article. Looks like I'll have to make room on my "shelf" for another keep-me-up suspense. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sybil! It was a great book and a fun review to write. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great description! That's enough to hook me in, and your review sold it. Thank you! And welcome to Suspense Sisters Reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Iola! I'm so excited to be a part of this awesome group!

      Delete
  3. Beverly Duell-MooreAugust 30, 2016 at 12:02 PM

    I'm ready to read the book! Sounds like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Thanks for commenting, and happy reading! :)

      Delete
  4. Great review! Welcome to the team! This story does sound exciting, with the reader being tossed into the action right from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brittany! It's such a pleasure to be here!

      Delete
  5. Wow! The books sounds fantastic, Therese, and so does your description of it. I can tell through your writing that the story really impacted you. Welcome to Suspense Sisters! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!