Pages

Monday, August 8, 2016

Marji Laine Reviews DUMPSTER DICING by Julie B. Cosgrove

Marji Laine reviews Dumpster Dicing by Julie B. Cosgrove

Short Version from Goodreads:

As Janie and Betsy Ann go for their morning jog, the city sanitation vehicle follows its normal five-mile Tuesday morning route through their retirement community of Sunset Acres. The two Bunco-playing biddies spot a leg dangling out of the dumpster when the truck lifts the trash container high in the air. Someone diced up one of their newest residents—a grouchy loner named Edwin Newman. Did he unpack too much of his dicey past when he moved in last weekend?

My Take:

Julie Cosgrove had the huge challenge of peopling a full retirement community. The very nature of the environment requires a plethora of characters. The author accomplishes this through a variety of personalities and voices. That's so refreshing! So often I have to get halfway or more in a book before I can remember who is who. 

Such is not the case with this story. The main trio of sleuths each have unique qualities and backgrounds. Janie, the widow of a detective, has enough knowledge of investigating crimes to make her dangerous. Her son-in-law, high up in the local police force, cringes and fusses with every episode of her snooping. 

I want to be just like her when I grow up! :)

Her cohort in finding the parts of the body (gruesome!) is Betsy Ann. She reminds me of Bess from the old Nancy Drew series. But this gal is smart, well-connected, highly educated. I'd go for having a wing-"man" with her abilities!

The final member of the trio is Ethel. I swear, I can almost see this woman. She's not nearly as smart or experienced as Betsy Ann, but she considers herself to be quite the investigator since she's seen every "Murder, She Wrote" episode ever created. LOL! I like her already. If she adds Perry Mason to her list, she's practically me! Okay, an older version of me. 

The characters make this story, but the mystery is delightfully twisted. As a reader, I was along for the ride, seeing and understanding everything right along with the characters. I would like to say that I saw the ending coming, but I seriously had no idea this time. Kudos to the author!

This is a great cozy mystery, just the thing for some relaxing down time and the perfect story for my weekend break! I'm so delighted that the author graced me with a copy in return for my review! Thanks!

About the Senior Reviewer:

Suspense Sister, Marji Laine, loves books and writing. Her own Grime Fighter novella series, about a crime scene cleaner, involves mystery, romance, and a touch of suspense.

Living in a Dallas suburb with her hubby of almost 30 years and her twins - the youngest of four - she spends her days homeschooling and transporting her teenagers to various functions, especially volleyball games. She also directs the children's music, helps with the youth choir, and sings in the adult choir at her church, as well as coordinates the high school credit classes along with the website of a large home school co-op.

Join her at MarjiLaine.com or follow her on FacebookTwitter, or visit her Amazon author page.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book!! I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!