Pages

Monday, October 26, 2015

VIPER'S NEST by Shirley Raye Redmond



Brittany McEuen reviews Viper's Nest by Shirley Raye Redmond.

Short Version: 

An outing that begins as research about asylums and Dorothea Dix, quickly turns sinister. Wren Bergschneider is the research assistant to Professor Allan Partner. They are working to uncover the mysteries hidden in an old asylum that is slated for demolition. The same asylum where Allan’s mother died years earlier.

It quickly becomes clear that someone does not want the pair to be digging into old secrets. Will Wren and Allan find the answers they need? What exactly went on behind the closed doors of this institution?

My review:

Viper’s Nest was a spooky and exciting story that I devoured in one day! When I wasn’t reading the book, I was thinking about it and wondering what would happen next. The story had so much to offer. What peaked my interest right from the beginning were some very interesting history facts that were tied into the story about mental institutions and the sad events that sometimes took place in them. It made me want to read up on the history of these asylums.

The book also had a light romance that developed naturally through it. For a good portion of the book, Wren and Allan were not on the same page spiritually. I like how the author addressed this. She was able to point out how God had been working in Allan’s life, even through terrible events, when he had been unable to see it.

The mystery and suspense in this story was great! The portions of the book when Allan and Wren were inside the asylum were extremely suspenseful. The ending, when everything is finally revealed, felt slightly rushed to me. However, this did not squelch my enjoyment of the story, at all. I have read other books by this author, and have enjoyed them all. Viper’s Nest was my favorite so far.

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

About Reviewer, Brittany McEuen:

I am a busy homeschooling mom to four children, ranging from kindergarten to high school. I’m happily married to my high school sweetheart and am an avid reader and book reviewer. I feature book reviews, giveaways, and occasional author interviews on my blog, Britt Reads Fiction. You can also connect with me on Pinterest and Goodreads.

1 comment:

  1. This doesn't sound like the kind of book that would normally interest me, Brittany, but your review intrigues me. Thanks for sharing your take on what sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!