Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

FIREWALL by DiAnn Mills


Brittany McEuen reviews.

Firewall is Book 1 of the FBI: Houston series by DiAnn Mills.

The Short Version:

Taryn Young’s life is about to be turned upside down. A brainy and beautiful computer genius, Taryn has not been fortunate in love. But things finally seem to be looking up for Taryn’s love life. After a whirlwind courtship, she has married the man of her dreams. But is it all an illusion?

An airport bombing may be related to a scheme to steal the computer project that Taryn developed. Taryn and her missing husband are now the FBI’s prime suspects in the bombing.

Can Taryn trust Agent Grayson Hall? Will they be able to clear her name and determine who is behind the chaos? Can Taryn clear her husband’s name or is there a darker truth to be uncovered? What is real and who can she trust?

My review:

I enjoyed reading Firewall. It was an exciting story and kept my interest. I really did like these characters and thought the book kept up a nice, quick pace. There seemed to always be something happening, or a new piece of information being discovered.

My favorite parts of the story involved the mystery running through the book. There were multiple villains and it was not until the very end of the book that all of my questions were answered. The author completely floored me with the twists and turns the story took and with the ultimate “bad guy reveal”!

I also enjoyed the romance. It could be argued that Taryn is falling into another quick relationship, like the whirlwind courtship before her marriage. I don’t think it was unreasonable in this setting for Taryn and Grayson to develop feelings for each other and with Taryn’s lack of much romantic background, she might be susceptible to falling for another man quickly.

Two things required me to “suspend reality” and just enjoy the story, but they were minor as they related to my enjoyment of reading an exciting suspense novel. First, Taryn has a fairly monumental conversion from atheist to believer. Not unheard of, but she does become very solidly focused and knowledgeable about God quickly. Second, the villains seemed to be “super villains”. The various bad guys had everything covered and planned out, always seeming to outsmart the good guys. They were just so good at what they did! It was hard for me to believe that they could always be so many steps ahead of the FBI and Taryn. But, then again, it made the story very exciting and unpredictable.

This was my first book by DiAnn Mills and it will definitely not be my last. It was an exciting and engaging story.

How about you? Have you read any books by DiAnn Mills? What makes a romantic suspense novel stand out to you as a favorite? Do you have a favorite suspense novel?

About reviewer, Brittany McEuen:

I am a busy homeschooling mom to four children, ranging from kindergarten to high school. I’m happily married to my high school sweetheart and am an avid reader and book reviewer. I feature book reviews, giveaways, and occasional author interviews on my blog, Britt Reads Fiction. You can also connect with me on Pinterest and Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. I just re-read this book for a second time and found it amazing that I enjoyed it so much the second time as well. I questioned the fast relationship as realistic, but had to stop when I reminded myself that I did it. No, it was not prudent, but it does happen often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who met and married her husband within 3 months. They've been married happily for years and have two little girls. It happens and so I guess that means it is realistic. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, too.

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!