Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

PROTECTED by Vannetta Chapman

Brittany McEuen reviews:

About Protected  by Vannetta Chapman:


Erin Jacobs has devoted her life to rescuing animals. As the owner of the ARK animal shelter, she is used to receiving middle of the night phone calls requesting her assistance. But one phone call will change her life!

When Erin finds herself rescuing an infant under mysterious circumstances, she is thrust into the world of the foster care system…again! Once a foster child, Erin will now set out to do all she can to care for this abandoned baby.

Travis Williams, her caseworker, seems to see right through to Erin’s vulnerabilities. He wants what is best for the baby and Erin, but will he be able to navigate his own feelings while also following Child Protective Services guidelines?

My review:


Protected is book two in the Jacobs Family Series, however, it is also a stand-alone novel. Although the hero and heroine of the first book, Hidden, make an appearance in Protected, you do not need to read book one to understand what is going on in Erin Jacobs’ life.

I really enjoyed Hidden, but Protected took it to a whole new level for me! The interesting thing is that this story has some suspense, but I would characterize it as “light suspense”. There is definitely a villain and potential danger, but that is not what really drives the story.

What drives this book, in my opinion, is a powerful and emotional storyline. Erin Jacobs is such a complex character! The author does a great job of diving into all of her hurts and insecurities, while still maintaining that she is a strong woman. I loved seeing Erin become an even stronger woman as she learned to lean on God and others.

Travis Williams was also an enjoyable character. He is one of the best Child Protective Services workers on the team. He follows and knows all of the guidelines. But, his fear of straying from the set rules for any reason almost costs him everything!

I’m a sucker for a good romance and Protected reeled me in, for sure, with the attraction between the two main characters. Throw in the complications and possible legal problems that could arise from Erin and Travis becoming involved and you have wonderful romantic tension!

As I mentioned before, the suspense is lighter than in the first book of the series. This does not detract from the story at all, in my opinion. There were enough potential complications that could arise in this case to keep me nervous about the outcome. And the romance sealed the deal. I really loved this story and it was one that I hardly set down once I started reading it.

About reviewer, Brittany McEuen:


I am a busy homeschooling mom to four children, ranging from kindergarten to high school. I’m happily married to my high school sweetheart and am an avid reader and book reviewer. I feature book reviews, giveaways, and occasional author interviews on my blog, Britt Reads Fiction. You can also connect with me on Pinterest and Goodreads.


8 comments:

  1. I've read Protected and reviewed it. It was so good. I've also read a few of her Amish mystery books and enjoyed them as well. She's an excellent mystery writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Gail! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic review Brittany! Christian suspense is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caryl! Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for a great review, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Brittany! I am so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!