Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

A PATH MADE PLAIN by Lynette Sowell




Brittany McEuen reviews A Path Made Plain:Seasons in Pinecraft - Book 2 by Lynette Sowell

Back Cover Information: 

Betsy Yoder lives with her great aunt in Sarasota’s Pinecraft neighborhood, far from her family in Ohio. Heartbroken by a man who left her—and the Order—to marry someone else, Betsy instead pours her time and energy into her bakery, offering the village of Pinecraft delicious desserts from her Amish heritage, and is content in her hard-working yet peaceful life.

Enter the formerly Amish Thaddeus Zook, a pastry chef who has moved to Pinecraft after working in restaurants among the Englisch. While Betsy nurses a hesitant heart, Thaddeus shows a similar hesitancy about rejoining an Amish community. Though neither can deny the attraction between them, Thaddeus is hiding a past that could threaten their future together. Betsy has lost one love already; dare she risk loving another who has adopted Englisch ways? Or will Thad listen to the call of the open road and move on again . . . without the love of his life?

My Take:

A Path Made Plain is one for my keeper shelf! I thoroughly loved this book from the start to the finish. I found it to be a very unique take on all things Amish. It is set in Pinecraft, Florida, a setting I really enjoy in Amish fiction. There is a light suspense thread running through the story, which makes it interesting to see the lengths the “bad guys” will go to in order to cover up their illegal activity.

I am a reader who enjoys a good romance flowing through the story. Attraction between two people, when it seems that there is no way for them to end up together, is a great way to add tension and potential heartbreak into the plot. This is definitely the case in A Path Made Plain.

The story is full of interesting characters. Although I haven’t read the first book in the series, it is clear that Betsy is recovering from heartache that occurred in the first story. She is a strong, young woman and is sometimes frustrated by people not taking her seriously because of her young age. But, even when she felt that others should take her more seriously, she remained respectful of her elders, continued working hard at her bakery, and made good business decisions.

I enjoyed the whole story, but my favorite character was definitely Thaddeus. I love that he was brave enough to step away and go after his dream of being a pastry chef years earlier, and was not convinced that his family’s “religion” was right for him simply because it is what was expected of him. He is such a special character. He has lived a bit of a rough life since leaving the Order. I really enjoyed reading his story and watching his spiritual growth throughout the book.

The suspense thread was satisfying and resolved well and the attraction between Betsy and Thad was great! I think readers who enjoy romantic suspense will find a unique and interesting story in A Path Made Plain.

About reviewer, Brittany McEuen:

I am a busy homeschooling mom to four children, ranging from kindergarten to high school. I’m happily married to my high school sweetheart and am an avid reader and book reviewer. I feature book reviews, giveaways, and occasional author interviews on my blog, Britt Reads Fiction. You can also connect with me on Pinterest and Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Brittany. Nice job on the review. I'm afraid I've never read any Amish fiction, but your allusion to the light suspense thread in this book makes it sound alluring. I may have to give it a whirl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sybil,
      The suspense is definitely not heavy. But, in the same way, the Amish aspect is lighter and different, as well. I think this book could appeal to those who enjoy Amish fiction and those who haven't been interested in it in the past. And I find the Florida setting fun!

      Delete
  2. I am a lover of Amish fiction and have always been fascinated by their plain ways. I have read a few with a thread of suspense woven in and I feel it just adds to the story. This sounds like a great one I need to read. Thanks Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read it. I enjoyed it so much! I haven't read the first in the series, but may try to get hold of it and catch up with that part of the story. I am definitely planning to read book three!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!