Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

SECRET REFUGE by Dana Mentink

Marji Laine reviews.
Secret Refuge by Dana Mentink has all that a romantic suspense reader could want!

The Lowdown:

Two years ago, Keeley Steven's sister was brutally murdered by her boyfriend, a man who completely evaded arrest. But he's returned, and he believes Keeley has something that belongs to him.

The tragic reality is, Keeley's sister might not have died if parole officer, Mick Hudson, hadn't let her boyfriend go free. When rumors abound of the suspected killer's return, Mick's guilt over his past mistake multiplies. He intends to prevent what happened to Keeley's sister from happening again. To Keeley.

She doesn't want help from anyone, though. Especially not from the man ultimately responsible for the loss of the person she most treasured. But she has more to worry about than only herself. To protect her family, she's willing to allow Mick to step in.

And he's willing to risk his life to insure history isn't revisited.

My Take:

From page one, the plot entangles with ruthlessness. It begins with a simple hand print on Keeley's window. One that shouldn't be there. And its appearance stirs up nightmares that have haunted over the past two years.

Only a few pages later, Keeley is accosted by a murderer.

Yes. This story is that intense. The action doesn't let up. The twists continue to the unexpected end. In fact, I think Dana Mentink has to be the Queen of Twists! I used to consider myself pretty good at figuring out mysteries, until I started reading her books. And I never saw some of these coming!

Dana Mentink doesn't use dainty little fish hooks to keep the pages turning; she uses whale-sized grapple guns! My daughters laughed at me as I read through Secret Refuge. At the end of every chapter, I'd drop my jaw and whisper, "Oh my gosh." Such unexpected turns and detours! And I loved the way the story kept moving.

I enjoyed the first book of Dana's Wings of Danger series, Hazardous Homecoming. You can find the review for that one here. Secret Refuge continues the high quality of her Love Inspired Suspense novels. No surprise there!

About the Senior Reviewer:
Marji Laine is a home school mom, intent on completing finals for her sophomore twins today. She hopes in the near future to take her girls to Ennis, Texas for some photography fun on the Bluebonnet Trail. In the further future, she hopes to publish her own line of romantic suspense novellas and get her oldest happily married off. Not necessarily in that order. You can find her books on her website (Faith Driven Fiction), Goodreads, and her Amazon author page, and connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Google+.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Marji. So glad to see such a great review of this book. There's a paperback copy headed my way, and I can't wait to jump in now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! So many twists and turns and "oh no!" moments in this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I couldn't end a chapter without at least a gasp! Lol!

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much. What a lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome. It's the least I could do for the hours of delight I enjoyed!

      Delete
  4. There is a lot of twist in this book, but that makes is fantastic . I loved it .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Elizabeth. This story has simply brilliant plotting!

      Delete
  5. Dana, will be leaving reviews in next couple of days. March has been hectic. Both sons (different times) have been in the hospital twice and then hubby was in the hospital. On top it all, my computer crashed. Sent it to be fixed & it crashed on them three times. Got it back yesterday.

    Have a wonderfully blessed & Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this one yet but after reading your review I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!