Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

HIDDEN by Vannetta Chapman

Brittany McEuen reviews

Dana Jacobs is a strong and capable supervisor at the Department of Homeland Security in Taos, New Mexico. She has not had an easy life and is reluctant to let anyone get too close.

Benjamin Marshall has finished his stint in the military as an explosives expert and is now assigned to Dana’s team. When threats start rolling in, and it is clear that a man full of anger is orchestrating attacks, Ben knows that he has been brought to Taos to protect Dana.

I really enjoyed reading Hidden. I loved the setting of Taos, NM, as well as the interesting characters in this book. The book takes off immediately with a heart-stopping prologue that gives the reader a peek back into the past. It is a glimpse at the moment Dana Jacob’s life changed forever. This event shaped her view of God, the world, and of relationships. What a complex character Dana is. She tries very hard to be strong, but lacks the one thing in life that could give her true strength.

Ben Marshall carries that true peace and strength in him because of his reliance on God. He is a wonderful hero. He is strong, yet gentle, and has such an innate ability to understand what Dana needs. Sometimes this causes some friction between them, adding to the tension in the book.

The story line is gripping and the action scenes are intense. The suspense builds throughout the story and the villain in the book is definitely scary and always seems one step ahead of the Homeland Defense team.

Hidden is a great addition to the world of romantic suspense! I am looking forward to reading more in the Jacobs Family Series.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author, Vannetta Chapman, in exchange for an honest review, which I have given.

About Brittany:
I am a busy homeschooling mom to four children, ranging from kindergarten to high school. I’m happily married to my high school sweetheart and am an avid reader and book reviewer.  I feature book reviews, giveaways, and occasional author interviews on my blog, Britt Reads Fiction. You can also connect with me on Pinterest and Goodreads.

15 comments:

  1. Enjoyed learning from Vannetta Chapman at a recent DFW chapter meeting of ACFW. She's great! I love how she weaves mystery or suspense into everything she writes, but this book seems to amp that up! Enticing! Thanks for sharing, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Marji! This was an exciting book!

      Delete
    2. Awww. I enjoyed visiting your chapter Marji!

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, Vannetta! So glad you could come visit (both in Dallas and here on the Suspense Sisters review page)!

      Delete
  2. Now I have just one more to add to my ever growing TBR pile! Such a great review, Brittany I have yet to read a book by Vannetta Chapman but this one sounds like a great place to start. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanda,
      Yes, HIDDEN is a great one to start with. It is her first non-Amish book and I really enjoyed it. Of course, I have enjoyed all of her Amish books that I have read as well. She has some fun cozy mysteries, such as Murder Simply Brewed. It was very good, as well.

      Delete
    2. Hi Wanda. HIDDEN is a great place to start, especially since the ebook price is $3.99. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Brittany. Nice job! This book sounds like a winner. You've got me really intrigued Like Wanda, I've got an ever-mounting TBR list, and you've just added to it. Keep those great reviews coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sybil, that TBR list never gets smaller does it? :-) We just keep adding to it all the time!

      Delete
    2. Those TBR piles can be daunting, Sybil. Thanks for adding me to the stack!

      Delete
    3. My pleasure, Ms. Chapman! And, how cool of you to stop by. :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to say I've never read any of Vannetta's books, but this sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a great one to start with, since you are a fan of suspense!

      Delete
    2. Today is a great day to try a new author, Sandra. :)

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed Vanetta Chapman's Amish mystery series, and this sounds even better! (And it's a great cover.)

    Off to Amazon to order yet another book to add to the to-read pile...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!