Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

ANYTHING FOR A MYSTERY by Cynthia Hickey



Wanda Barefoot reviews:

(A Nosey Neighbor Mystery, Book 1)
What's a romance writer to do when she stumbles on a murder? Change her genre, of course! Tweet This!

Stormi Nelson is a reclusive New York Times best-selling author. Her home office is her best friend and where she writes her famous novels but, in an effort to get out and mingle with "real" people more, she volunteers to be the head of the neighborhood watch. On one of her nightly patrols, she falls head over heels (literally) for her dead neighbor and finds herself hiding in the doghouse with an Irish Wolfhound named Sadie. As far as Stormi is concerned, everyone in the neighborhood is a suspect (until proven otherwise) including the sexy Detective Matthew Steele. Matthew, however, can't decide whether to kiss Stormi or throttle her.

How do you curb an author's wild imagination, especially when murder is involved? Click to Tweet! You. Can't.

Stormi Nelson's character is a delight in this book. She has a quirky way about her that I found so endearing. Her strong desire to gather research for her next novel and her reclusive nature clashed to a degree but her need get her creative juices flowing outweighed her need for privacy. Oak Meadow Estates is filled with all kinds of quirky characters from Bill Olson and his wife Norma (who thinks every woman is trying to steal her husband) to Victoria Lanham (who looks like a model for a Barbie Doll) to Cecelia and Herman Edgars (who look like they came straight out of a mob movie). Add to the mix Stormi's family moving in and she's ready to pull her hair out faster than gravity pulls us down to earth!

I thoroughly enjoyed going on Stormi's adventure as a self-made sleuth. Anything for a Mystery has a "cozy" feel with a lot of humor woven in and some romance with a gorgeous detective. All of these
come together to make a storyline that reeled me in like a fish and hooked me enough to buy the next book in the series. I can't wait to read more! Cynthia Hickey is a new author for me but, after reading this book, I can't imagine why. This is the perfect book to read by a warm fire on a cold night or any time you want an adventure. A very enjoyable read!

About Wanda Barefoot:

I am a self-proclaimed reviewer who turned my love of reading into a way to help authors get more recognition for the amazing stories they write for bibliophiles like me. I love God and family and I have a special love for all animals, both big and small. If I'm not reading you can most likely find me on my computer tinkering with graphics and my own personal web design. You can read more of my reviews on my blog at www.abookloversretreat.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/abookloversretreat or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/flghtlss1.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first review for Suspense Sisters, Wanda! You're a perfect fit for this group of reviewers.

    Anything for a Mystery sounds more like the cozies that I love rather than the scary stuff, so I hope to read Cynthia's book eventually. Meanwhile, I look forward to more great reviews from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole! It's good to see you here but I had no doubt you would drop by. Thank you, my friend. :)

      This was a great and you would absolutely love it. I hope you can give it a try.

      Love and Hugs!

      Delete
  2. I agree! Great review, Wanda! This series sounds too fun to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marji! Wonderful and very engaging book. I look forward to reading more. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a little late to the party, Wanda, but I loved the upbeat review. I could tell it reflected the overall feel of the book, and that sold me. Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Sybil. I am late replying! So many things to do, so little time. I'm glad you enjoyed the review and I do so much appreciate you stopping by. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow! Wanda, you had me hooked on the book from the first paragraph, which I tweeted, BTW! I love it when a hero doesn't know whether to kiss the heroine or throttle her! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! I appreciate the Tweet, also. :)

      I think that little bit of tug-of-war between the hero and heroine makes a book much more engaging and this book was definitely engaging!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your first review for Suspense Sisters, Wanda! I enjoyed reading your review. This sounds like a great story! =)
    Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good, Melissa! I had no doubt you would be here too. Thank you for the Share and thank you so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. Great review, Wanda! Sounds like a really good mystery. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!