Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

MURDER AT THE MIKADO by Julianna Deering

Brittany McEuen reviews:
Drew Farthering and his fiancée, Madeline Parker, are approaching the final weeks before their upcoming wedding. The last thing either Drew or Madeline expects is a surprise visit from Drew’s old flame, Fleur.

A former actress, Fleur is prone to dramatic outbursts. However, Fleur is the number one suspect in a murder investigation involving a member of her old theater troupe and desperately needs Drew’s help.

When Drew reveals the detaiIs of his former relationship with Fleur, will the romance between he and Madeline be strong enough to survive?

Having read the first two books in the Drew Farthering Mystery series, I was thrilled to return to early 1930’s England and catch up with the lives of these interesting characters. Once again, I enjoyed the sophisticated and witty banter that occurs between Drew, Madeline, and Nick Dennison, Drew’s longtime friend.

In Murder at the Mikado, both Drew and Madeline have to face some facts about themselves, their relationship with each other, and past events that have shaped the way they both view relationships. Using Madeline’s insecurities about herself, the author did an excellent job of highlighting the importance of trusting in God and taking one step at a time, letting Him lead the way.

As with the other books in the series, more than one poor soul will fall victim to murder before Drew and his friends are able to track down the culprit.

Although not exactly what I would term a cozy mystery, this series of books has a feel all its own. Murder at the Mikado is not a fast-paced suspense. It is a look back at a more genteel time, through the eyes of members of high society, and I truly enjoyed the trip!

I am a busy homeschooling mom to four children, ranging from kindergarten to high school. I’m happily married to my high school sweetheart and am an avid reader and book reviewer.  I feature book reviews, giveaways, and occasional author interviews on my blog, Britt Reads Fiction. You can also connect with me on Pinterest and Goodreads.

10 comments:

  1. Great review, Brittany! I love the 1930's era and this sounds like a really good book. I need to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wanda! I have enjoyed all three of these books and am excited to hear that there will be three more in the series!

      Delete
  2. When I see these books, my mind goes straight to PBS and their wonderful mysteries. Good job, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books definitely have that same gentle, sophisticated quality. Thanks Sandra :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh! I think of the Thin Man. William Powell and Myrna Loy. Quick-witted dialogue and twisted plots. LOVE those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marji, The Thin Man movies are EXACTLY what goes through my mind as I am reading these books! I grew up watching them with my family and they have that same blend of a great mystery and witty humor sprinkled in.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this - I did as well (I've enjoyed them all so far). They remind me of mysteries by Agatha Christie and Georgette Heyer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this has been a fun series. Glad she will be doing three more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing review, Brittany. I have been dying to read this book since I first heard of its pending release. Now, I really can't wait. I have to add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!