Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

DANGER AT THE BORDER by Terri Reed

Iola Goulton reviews.

Marine biologist Dr Tessa Cleary has been called to the North Cascades National Forest in Washington state to investigate reports of dying fish in Glen Lake. The lake borders Canada, so she is partnered with Agent Jeff Steele, from the US Customs and Border Protection service, for whom she feels an immediate attraction. But they find more than they are bargaining for ... will they live to tell the tale?

Danger at the Border is from Harlequin’s Love Inspired Suspense line, which means it’s shorter than most novels and has a definite Christian element (you’d think all fiction from Christian publishers would have a definite Christian element, but they don’t). This is my main problem with LIS books: they are short, which makes them a quick and fast-paced read. Yes, others might see that as an advantage, but I find if I’m enjoying a book I don’t want it to end, so good LIS books end all too soon—and this was definitely a good one.

I’m always a fan of intelligent heroines. Not perfect women, but women with brains who aren’t afraid to use them. Tessa Cleary certainly fits the bill here. She’s bright, doesn’t frighten easily, and isn’t afraid to speak her mind. And, of course, the heroine then needs a hero who deserves her, and Jeff Steele fits the bill. Handsome and muscular (of course), but also hard-working, intelligent and brave, and with a strong sense of right and wrong (and the inner strength that comes from his Christian faith).

The plot was fast-paced and tight, with plenty of twists and peril, and everything works out in the end (it’s a Love Inspired Suspense. It has to work out in the end). I don’t want to tell you too much more, because that would spoil it, but I’m always pleased to read a book where things don’t always go as I think, yet it still makes sense. All in all, Danger at the Border is an enjoyable read, with a perfect mix of romance and suspense.

Thanks to Harlequin/Love Inspired Suspense and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review. You can find out more about Terri Reed at her website.

Reviewer Biography: Iola Goulton

I am a married mother-of-two, living in the sunny Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. I play the tenor horn in the local Brass Band, do scrapbooking and cardmaking as hobbies.

I blog at www.christianreads.blogspot.com and http://australasianchristianwriters.blogspot.co.nz/, and I work as a self-employed fiction editor (www.christianediting.co.nz) and HR consultant (www.bayreward.co.nz). You can also find me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ChristianReads) Twitter (@IolaGoulton) or Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/iolasreads).

11 comments:

  1. Twists are always a great thing. Sounds like a good one, Iola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only downside of twists is they can make it hard to write a review, because I want to talk about the twist, but revealing it would be a spoiler!

      Thanks for commenting, Sandra.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that the truth! A common issue with suspense stories. No reveals allowed, but OH, that PERFECT part just BEGS to be relived! LOL! Excellent job of enticing! :)

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about having to end a book when you're really enjoying it! But I do LOVE LIS books when I don't have time to dig into a long story. Just the right size for an evening or two!

    Great review, Iola!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - some days I want to read something light, and Love Inspired are perfect - especially LIS, because it's got that all-important suspense element. I like something a little more than a pure romance.

      Delete
  3. Loving the review, Iola! I LOVE a strong heroine. One that doesn't need a man to get things done but wants one just the same. This sounds like a great book and I hope to be able to read it soon! Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I can't abide weak or stupid heroines. I know even the most intelligent women does the occasional dumb thing, but let's make that the exception, not the rule!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed your review, Iola. I agree with you, it is hard when a great book ends :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brittany. I hope you read the book, and enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Corker of a review, Iola! Did I use that Kiwi phrase correctly? :-) LOL!

    Moving right along ... You can always rely upon LIS and Terri Reed to give you a great inspirational romantic suspense pick-me-up. Love those books. I downloaded this to my Kindle at the beginning of the month and can't wait to read it now that you've shared. Blessings, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corker is probably a bit more Aussie than Kiwi, but it's close enough!

    This is the first Terri Reed book I've read, but I've now got my eye on a couple of her others ... but I've already got too many unread books on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!